Close this search box.
You Are Here:


The South West produces premium wines that are enjoyed here in the region – and around the world.

Viticulture production is a significant economic contributor to the South West region, with 31,793 tonnes of grapes crushed in 2022. The majority of grapes in the region were crushed in Margaret River, which accounted for a 2 per cent share of the national vintage.

In addition to Margaret River, wine was also crushed in the Blackwood Valley, Geographe, Manjimup and Pemberton wine-growing areas of the South West.

White wines made up 59 per cent of the 2022 crush for all five areas combined, with reds making up the remaining 41 per cent.

The top varieties for all South West regions combined were Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Semillon, Chardonnay and Shiraz.

The total area of vineyards in the South West was 6,969 hectares in 2019. This accounted for 65 per cent of all vineyards in Western Australia and 5 per cent nationally.

The top five export markets by volume for the South West were the UK, USA, Singapore, Canada, Hong Kong.

Wine tourism is popular in the South West, with many people taking up the opportunity to enjoy a glass of Semillon or Shiraz in the picturesque region that produced it.

Did you know?

Gralyn Estate won the ‘Wine of the Year’ award at the 2022 London Wine Competition.

Useful links & documents

National Vintage Report 2022.

Our updates – delivered straight to your inbox

Want to know what’s happening around the South West region? Be kept up to date by signing up to receive our newsletter.