The South West is best known for its world-beating beaches, wines and lifestyle. But we also punch above our weight as an investment location for mining technologies, advanced engineering and manufacturing, food and beverage production, timber and consumer products.
We offer variety — from the world’s largest lithium deposit, 90 per cent of Australia’s truffle exports, autonomous vehicle training facilities to award-winning wines, spirits and cheese.
The South West is a seriously fun location for serious business. Across the fast-growing region there are ample investment opportunities for businesses seeking a skilled technical workforce, trading opportunities with Asia and access to some of the most productive agribusiness land in Australia.
Close to Perth, universities and financial markets, the South West is fast-growing with a strong industrial and agricultural labour force and a growing reputation in digital sectors. Industrial land availability is strong with robust freight networks, a bulk port and regional airport.
The South West has three distinct regional economies.
- The Bunbury-Geographe region is a mix of mineral processing, energy production, mining and agriculture. It includes the region’s capital city of Bunbury which hosts a range of service, construction, engineering and manufacturing industries together with the Bunbury Port. Tourism is a growing aspect of the region varying from wine in the Ferguson Valley and Harvey areas to active sports in Collie.
- The Capes region includes the shires of Augusta-Margaret River and Busselton. It has traditionally been a centre for agriculture including dairy and beef production. It has become a premium wine growing area and is a significant centre for high value, technology-based industries including a variety of creative industries. Vasse offers a very attractive lifestyle for those whose business interests can be delivered through telecommunications. The area is a high value tourism location.
- The Southern Forests region includes the shires of Boyup Brook, Bridgetown Greenbushes,Pemberton, Manjimup and Nannup. Traditional industries have included agriculture, timber and tourism with mining at Greenbushes. Together these industries support the small business sector with Manjimup as the regional centre. There is growth potential in food and timber processing.
How we can assist
- SWDC offers information support, investment facilitation and advice on grants and financial incentives.
- We are part of an investment facilitation network connected to the national and State governments.
- We can provide briefings and host delegations of potential investors.